Traffic Alert: Shockoe Creek Bridge work could cause delays | News
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -- RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Drivers should expect some delays on Interstates 64 and 95 because of bridge work on Shockoe Creek Bridge this weekend.
Don't be confused, this is not the more well known Shockoe Valley Bridge. This is sandwiched between the Mechanicsville Turnpike and Shockoe Valley Bridge.
Uneven pavement on the bridge is in desperate need of repairs. It goes right over the old Buckingham Branch railway. It's a bumpy ride for many drivers, but a project starting this weekend should smooth things out.
"We'll close two lanes of traffic, we'll start with westbound and then we'll move to eastbound," says Sundra Hominik, a VDOT spokesperson.
This $7.8 million project will include repairing and resurfacing the bridge. Work will also be done to paint, repair joints and steel sections.
VDOT says crews are scheduled to work only on the weekends. Lanes will be closed from 9 a.m. Friday night to 5 a.m. Monday. The deadline should clear the way in time for the morning work commute.
Crews will switch off working on each direction.
"In every case, in every project, we [want] to get done on time and get out of the roads so that drivers can get on their way," she said.
VDOT wants to avoid want happened a few weeks ago on Interstate 95. Crews missed that deadline, causing major traffic back-ups and prompting thousands of dollars in fines.
"If anything develops we'll take a look at that and see if there's a need for any penalties," says Hominik. "At this point we're expecting things to go well"
For this weekend, crews will be working on the westbound lanes. Work on Shockoe Valley Bridge is scheduled to be complete by the first weekend in June.
Here's the schedule according to VDOT's website:
- April 13-16: I-64 west--right and center lanes closed (left travel lane open)
- April 20-23: I-64 west--left and center lanes closed (right travel lane open)
- May 4-7: I-64 west--left and center lanes closed (right travel lane open)
- May 11-14: I-64 east--left and center lanes closed (right travel lane open)
- May 18-21: I-64 east--left and center lanes closed (right travel lane open)
- June 1-4: I-64 east--right and center lanes closed (left travel lane open)
Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near North Side
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hanover Supervisors will not vote on Mechanicsville movie theater
- Mechanicsville bathroom surveillance cameras under investigation
- Teenager killed in car accident in Hanover County
- Pair charged for allegedly stealing copper pipes from Mechanicsville apartments
- Bullets found on Hanover County elementary school bus